Wednesday, October 2, 2013

The Perfect Chocolate Cupcake

Wednesday, October 2, 2013
So a while back...wow almost a year ago I made some of the most perfect cupcakes ever.  Perfect chocolate cupcakes.  I have always been fond of Joy the Baker's chocolate cupcake recipe...but sometimes it is a little unreliable.  I've had them cave in more times than they've com out....

So I did some tinkering from another recipe I use quite a bit and came out with perfect, fool proof, soft, delicious chocolate cupcakes.



They're awesome.  Served them at my daughter's 4th birthday party and they were a smashing success....

Here's her cupcakes from last year...



BTW you should check out those cookies from her party....some of my faves.

Anyway.....it's my go to recipe now...

Perfect Chocolate Cupcakes

2 cups All Purpose Flour
2 cups granulated sugar
3/4 c dark cocoa powder (or just a really good cocoa powder if you can't get a hold of a dark one)
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs 
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup canola oil
1 tsp good pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup strong black coffee

Preheat oven to 350.

Whisk all the dry ingredients together in a bowl, set aside.

In an electric mixer, beat eggs, sour cream, oil, and vanilla.  Add dry ingredients and beat till well mixed.  SLOWLY add the coffee in a slow drizzle. 

Fill your cupcake tin with your paper liners....this makes a little over 2 dozen.
  
Pour even amounts of batter into liners.

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.  OR basically until you jiggle them and they don't jiggle back.  Let cool on wire rack.  Then remove them from the tin and let them cool COMPLETELY before you frost them.  There is nothing more irritating than melty frosting. 
Speaking of....I just used a plain 'ol buttercream for these.  Any buttercream will work. 




And there you go.  For this weeks version I used these beautiful cupcake liners from Bake it Pretty.  And topped them with licorice wheels I got at Candy House.

**You can win a special gift from Bake it Pretty and Candy House in this weeks GIVEAWAY!**

My daughter had her own version of decorating her dozen....


I went with "Halloween" .....she went with "use all the sprinkles!" but I think they're cute...I KNOW they're delicious.  :)  

Happy Baking!

7 comments:

Julia. Petites Sucreries. said...

They look delicious ;)

triciaz said...

Hi Ali! These look wonderful and I'm def going to give them a try. One question, you mention buttermilk in the instructions and it isn't listed in the ingredients. Wanted to clarify before running out to buy buttermilk.

Unknown said...

These look great! Love the black & white cupcake liners!! :) I may have to give cupcakes a whirl to try something different from cookies!

Cakepoplady said...

Yes, I am confused about the buttermilk, also.

Unknown said...

Certainly not my recipe but maybe she meant to say sour cream in the directions?

Miss Ali Bee, could you kindly clarify :)

Kristi said...

These look like a wonderful and DELICIOUS dark chocolate cupcake! However, I do not care for coffee flavored things so I was wondering if you can taste the coffee? If so, is the recipe OK if you leave it out? Thanks so much!

Alison said...

So sorry guys!! I was having one of those mornings when i put this post together....kids...augh!!!

Its sour cream...I just corrected it.

And no, Kristi you probably wont be able to taste any coffee...it's only half a cup. I know I never can anyways....just chocolate delightfulness. :)

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios