Saturday, August 17, 2013

Weekend Update

Saturday, August 17, 2013
So I know I don't usually do this, but I've decided to give y'all an update on how things are going over on this end.

Right now I would say pretty good.  Finally

It's still a little rough with a new baby....busy.  My mom was here for my birthday this weekend (did I forget to tell you I celebrated my 31st birthday on Wednesday?) and she said, "I don't know how you get anything done."  And my response was, "I don't." And it's true.  These kids have me busy busy,  BUT come September Sophie will be at Pre-School full time and I'll have much more time to get to bloggable things.  I have managed to bake some things and pre-write a few baking posts...some pretty dang good ones judging from the responses of my guinea pigs.  "My guinea pigs?" you ask in horror?  That's my family.  My immediate family and my in laws...and out laws.  I make them sample things.  It's hardly cruelty...they don't seem to mind.

I held a dessert party Tuesday....because I wanted to.  I had the need to bake.  I had Mom and Grandma here to entertain kids.  I was in a party mood.  So I did.  It was pretty awesome....hence some new recipes coming on the blog very soon.

With the kid situation tho, the one thing I just haven't had a lot of time for is cookies.  Which is a bummer because it's the thing I like best...and kind of the mainstay of my blog.  It just takes SO LONG to do a set ( A lot of you are cookiers...you know what I'm talking about).  So it literally takes me WEEKS to get a set of cookie together...and that requires some major effort.  So here's crossing fingers that come September I will be able to get back in the cookie groove and I will have much more cookies posted.

In the mean time, I haven't been feeling too well.  I have this terrible chest pain.  I've had it for like 2 months now.  Not long after we got back from the Dominican, I started having vertigo and headaches and nausea and panic attacks....so I went to quick meds...because it was freaking me out.  I NEVER get sick.  They said inner ear....cool...makes sense...then went to an Ear Nose and Throat guy...not inner ear.  I went to the cardiologist right away and he told me he didn't know what was causing my chest pain and other symptoms but it wasn't my heart (thank God).  So I figured maybe anxiety...I mean it's been pretty stressful since March. But as time has progressed and the other symptoms (like the vertigo) dissipated, the chest pain started getting worse.  And then I just started feeling sick.  So this last week I went to my general practitioner and she ran some tests on my gall bladder.  Turns out its hyperactive.  Awesome.  Hypo active Thyroid and a Hyper active Gallbladder.  Go figure.  When I get sick I get it bad.  So I have to go in Monday with a gastroenterologist and have a few more tests done....but either way I'm looking at surgery in the near future.  Convenient.

Anyway....with that in mind..I've decided to give up wine (it's not as hard as I thought it would be) and other alcohol.  We're an alcohol free house.  Which I'm good with.  Don't want my kids growing up thinking that regular drinking is a healthy habit.  Not that I judge those who do keep alcohol in the house...we just gave it up for our health over here.  But I still want that special treat in the evening...that small sip of something.. I mean the habit is still there...rewarding myself for a surviving a long day of laundry and screaming kids...So I've taken up tea.

In fact I think I might be full on obsessed with tea.  It's like wine in so many ways.  Different flavors, different regions, different harvest years...yes.  Tea has become my new vice.  And I'm ok with that.  Most times it keeps me off the sweets and there are health benefits.  I still stay away from drinking a lot of caffeine.  I have never been a big coffee drinker.  I stay away from caffeine and sodas.  I'm serious.  I drink water and tea.  That's it.  An occasional glass of milk when I want an "indulgence of creaminess" without digging in to the salted caramels that I got from Firefly Confections...awe man.... good stuff.  I will admit, I still do take one piece out ever now and then in the evening when nothing but a little sugar will do the trick.  But those caramels are DANGEROUS in the best way possible.  I highly recommend.  She does caramel right.

photo courtesy of Firefly Confections - do not Pin

Anyway....baby is sleeping, Dave is with Sophie at the park.  It's FINALLY quiet here at home (tho just temporarily of course).  So I'm going to order some tea.  And makeup.  Because those are my two vices...and I got some cash for my birthday.  Perhaps on another random weekend I'll let you know about the tea or makeup.  Or any of my other fave finds from the week.  

Till next week.

If you want to read any of my tea reviews come visit me on Steepster








3 comments:

Strlady said...

I consider myself a bit of a tea snob. My family says I'm a full blown tea snob but I won't admit to it.
A few years ago I discovered Harney and Sons. They make the BEST tea EVER.
I love that you can buy little sample sizes and can taste test the type you like until you find the one that screams YOU! I discovered them when the brand I usually drank was discontinued and the Teavana was not that convenient. Harney delivers to my door and allows me to "taste". Fell in love immediately.
Sorry to hear about your health but very happy that they discovered what is causing the problem. For me, knowing what is the cause of the problem is a HUGE relief on it's own. My son in law has been struggling for years with an intestinal issue that no one can figure out. It's so frustrating. I hope you will be on the mend soon.

Paula said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are having some health issues and I hope come September that surgery clears up the problem with your gall bladder. I'm assuming you are already on thyroid medication.
Take good care of you and worry about the cookies/blog when you are back to being your healthy self.

SimplySweetsbyHoneybee{Melissa} said...

Hope you get to feeling better soon. I know all too well about health issues. I've had it bad the last couple of years. I don't have kids so I don't know how you do it. Some days I barely have enough energy to get out of bed. Looking forward to seeing more posts.

 

Blog Design by Eedee Design Studios